2019-20 Season | A Few Words from our Executive Director
The full season catalog that you know and love will be available next month, but there’s no need to wait. Renew your season tickets today. We’re holding your seats, with a renewal deadline of May 24. New Season Tickets on sale May 28th.
The upcoming season at The Soraya breaks new ground in several ways:
- In an ambitious cross-city partnership we will offer an unforgettable project, Violins of Hope, launched at our Opening Night by the most beloved violinist of our time, Itzhak Perlman. He will be followed by a veritable pantheon of violinists on our season— Pinchas Zukerman, Joshua Bell, Christian Tetzlaff, and Lindsay Deutsch.
- The Soaring series will celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of Beethoven with six concerts performed by some of the world’s most revered musicians. Two concertos, two symphonies, and two nights of chamber music will provide opportunity to experience the full breadth of the composer’s work.
- For the first time ever, you can experience three full-length ballets on the Shape & Motion series—Romeo + Juliet, Giselle, and The Nutcracker, each performed by exceptional world-class companies, from the U.S. to British Columbia.
- The Scenes & Songs series will offer something new and different—music by two of the most esteemed contemporary songwriters from two generations—Angeleno extraordinaire Randy Newman and citizen-of-the-world Lin-Manuel Miranda. The first concert is a tribute to Miranda by two artists who know him well, Mandy Gonzalez and Javier Muñoz, the Broadway stars who were made famous in Miranda’s mega-hits In the Heights and Hamilton. The second concert features Newman’s cult classic Faust, featuring some of the finest Newman classics you may have never heard in a classic retelling of the battle between the Devil and the Lord.
- We’re also cooking up some serious fun—from the original Teen Angel, Frankie Avalon, to the return of Cirque Éloize in a new show, Hotel, to the indie rock darlings and viral video pioneers OK GO.
We’re extending a 20% discount for all packages. If you’re a “Choose” purchaser, thank you for being adventurous. If you’re a series patron, we admire your dedication. For our most loyal patrons who buy three or more series, the discount is 25%.
This year, you’ll recognize all the features of your season tickets: parking is included in the cost of your ticket. Valet parking is back, and I encourage you to consider purchasing a valet pass with your subscription for $12 per performance. You will enjoy exchange privileges. And you can have first access to additional performances.
There are a few performances that are not on any series that you might want to add to your purchase—the flamenco great, Farruquito; the worldwide musical ambassadors for tango, the official Astor Piazzolla Quintet; and the blues legend Bettye LaVette. Likewise, the Itzhak Perlman concert is not on series. Information about purchasing seats for this historic concert will be provided separately.
The order form also has a spot for donations. If you already direct some of your philanthropy to The Soraya’s programs, we greatly appreciate it. We couldn’t manage without you. If you’ve never contributed, I hope you’ll consider joining our family of supporters. We’re proud to share with you the value and impact of contributions to The Soraya, so please call if you have questions. Ticket revenue only covers 30% of the total costs of running The Soraya.
We’re committed to delivering on our promise to you in every way. Please do join us for another season. As you’re considering the options, let us know how we can help.